Monday, March 5, 2012

Two Dresses for Lea

Our cute little niece turns one this week so we had a little family birthday party for her this weekend.  I decided to make her two dresses for this summer.  They turned out adorable.

I won't lie, this first one is my favorite.  I love the vintage look of this dress.  When I was at the fabric store I kept going back to this fabric.  It was kind of expensive, but it was on sale and I knew if I didn't get it I would regret it.

This dress is so versatile too.  When it no longer fits her as a dress it would make a cute tunic.  Paired with a long sleeve shirt underneath and a pair of jeans, so cute.

Front of dress
Back of dress

This dress came from the book Fabric by Fabric: One Yard Wonders.  I know I said before peasant dresses are the easiest to make, well I said that before I had made this dress.  This dress has to be one of the easiest to make.  It is made from one pattern piece placed on the fold!  There is no hemming, you just have to know how to sew on bias tape.



I did at first have a hard time putting bias tape on the scallops, but it didn't take me long to get the hang of it.

The second dress is also very easy to make.  It is very similar to a peasant dress.  I got the pattern from the same book.  Sofia told me and has reminded me many times that she wants a dress just like this one only purple.  I actually plan on making her several dresses using this pattern.  I think it is the perfect summer play dress.



I had lots of fun making these two dresses for her.  I plan on making Sofia, Addie, Lea, and Ava semi matching dresses this summer for cousin pictures.  I am really excited about it.


1 comment:

Val Butler said...

Super cute! Your niece will be thrilled!