Monday, July 2, 2012

Homemade Paint


It is just too hot to be outside in the afternoons.  We have even tried swimming and the water does not bring much  relief because the water is almost too warm.  The coolness of our house has been where we have been spending most of our afternoons.  

Painting is one thing we do a lot and with this warm weather I think Sofia has been painting more.  I have been wanting to make our own paint and found this simple recipe in the book First Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos by MaryAnn F. Kohl.  

The recipe is quite simple and I am sure you already have all the ingredients on hand.

I doubled the recipe for each color, but I am giving you the exact measurements that are in the book.
  • 2 tsp white vinegar
  • 2 tsp corn starch
  • food coloring
Mix ingredients together.  We used baby food jars and just shook the ingredients together, but a bowl and stirring with a spoon would work just fine.  Then your little one is free to paint. 

The paint is a lot like watercolors when painted on the paper, but when it dries it looks nothing like a watercolor painting.  I don't think I will ever buy paint again.  I really like this paint and Sofia had fun helping me make it.  


Sofia has been drawing and painting farms a lot lately.  I guess when you live in Illinois and are always seeing corn, tractors, and cows you just gotta make pictures of it.



I'm not sure how long the paint will stay good for. If I find an answer to that I will make an update.  The paint will separate and will have to be mixed up before using again.

Enjoy painting!

No comments: