Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Rotisserie-Style Chicken

A couple weeks ago Hyvee had their whole small chickens on sale for $0.59 a pound.  I bought three and I probably would have bought more if I knew our freezer could hold it all.  My plan is to cook the chickens in the crock pot and with the left overs make chicken noodle soup or chicken and dumplings.  We have a cook book called Make it Fast, Cook it Slow and going through it I had found a wonderful recipe for a small whole chicken.  The chicken falls right off the bone and is so juicy.  I don't have a picture to share because when I took the chicken out of the crock pot it completely fell apart and it no longer looked like a chicken.

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken 4-5 lbs
2-3 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 whole garlic cloves (optional)
1 yellow onion, quartered (optional)

Directions:
  • Use a 6 quart slow cooker.  Skin the chicken and get rid of the neck and other stuff from the cavity.
  • In a bowl, combine the salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, Italian seasoning, and cayenne and black peppers.  Rub the mixture all over the bird, inside and out.  If desired, shove 4 whole garlic cloves and a quartered onion inside the bird.  Plop the chicken breast-side down into the slow cooker.  Do not add water.
  • Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 8 hours.  The meat is done when it is fully cooked and has reached the desired tenderness. The longer you cook it, the more tender the meat will be.

No comments: