Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Fairy, a Gnome, and a Not So Frightful Night


Did you all have a good Halloween?  I must say it was a pretty successful night here.  After the girls got all dressed up and the pictures were taken we went to our church for Glow.  There we went on a hay rack ride, played some games, and ate supper.  From there we went trick-or-treating on Grandma Nita's street. 


Sofia was so excited to get her costume on.  She had been planning her costume for months.  A purple fairy.  The color only wavered once.  She told me purple, then pink, and then purple again.  Of course once the fabric was bought there was no turning back.  




The idea for her skirt came from the book Little Girls, Big Style by Mary Abreu.  


I used elastic to make the overskirt scrunch up.  The original calls just for one on each side, but I decided to add more.  I'm glad I did.  I think it makes the overskirt look like flower petals and a little more fairy like.


I made her head band and wand too.  Her head band is just a purple head band with flowers glued to it.  She knew how she wanted her wand.  She wanted a flower wand.  So I just took a section of the fake flowers and wrapped the stem with ribbon and then tied some ribbon to it.  The head band and wand were the easiest things I made this Halloween.


At first Adeline was going to be a fairy too, but Sofia wanted her to be a flower.  I then made the decision to make Addie a gnome.  Her costume turned out so cute.


I had a hard time keeping this gnome still so I could get a picture of her.  Always on the go!




For Addie's costume I just kind of winged it on the skirt and added the suspenders.  I had help with the hat.  You can find the tutorial I followed for the hat here at the blog Living Craftily Ever After.





I tried getting a picture of the fairy and gnome together.  It didn't work out so well.


And the hat comes off!  Also our fairy forgot her wand.



I think the girls had fun.  I know I had fun making their costumes.

 
 






1 comment:

Natalie said...

Love it! They look so cute.