Thursday, November 4, 2010

Beans

The Autumn temperatures have finally come.  This all means shorter walks and shorter outside play.  The wind is so chilly it pierces right through you.  We are trying to get settled in to doing more things inside, but with all that wonderful toddler energy it is so hard.  I will confess, this morning I was not in the mood to put up with the fighting over toys, the whining, and just the boredom the girls are seeming to get.  Again, that wonderful energy that they have was all bottled up and they were in need of an outlet.  So the thinking cap had to come on.  BEANS!  That was my solution.  We had a bag of beans that I knew we would never eat so I poured them into two bowls.  Gave the girls each a measuring cup, measuring spoon, and a whisk.  So much fun was had by the girls.  They did not even notice I was making lunch and did not want to stop playing when it was time to eat.  There was dumping, moving from one bowl to the other, measuring, and lots of whisking with beans flying everywhere.  I was once again reminded that it really does not take much to entertain a toddler it just takes some creative thinking.
I now know of one thing we can do when they seem to be getting bored.  Break out the beans!  I will gladly take any other fun activity suggestions.  I have a feeling I will need them as we become more and more inside bound due to the cold weather.

3 comments:

Samantha Foltz said...

Great idea Shasta! Love your blog Thanks for sharing!

samantha Foltz said...

i don't know if this is something you could do with the girls but we always use to have bowling at our house you can use plastic soda bottles for the pins small ones or 2 liters if you want to make it larger and any ball to bowl with

Anonymous said...

here's an idea. you could get some blankets and pillows and the girls could make a fort.