I have never been a fan of apple pie. It has always been a mixture of the texture of cooked apples and hot apples that I do not like. I guess I have not had the right apple pie. On Saturday I went to the Apple and Pork Festival in Clinton, IL with my mom and aunt. I was talked into trying apple pie. I must say the pie was pretty tasty. The apples were sliced super thin, the pie was at room temperature, and it helped that the crust was really good.
Let's just say I was inspired.
I recruited my biggest helper and we got started. The crust recipe came from the Hanover Elementary School Cookbook. I had never made pie crust before; I had always bought it. I thought it was a little challenging to roll the dough out in a circle, but I had never done it before.
The recipe for the filling came from the cookbook One Thousand Successful Recipes. This cookbook was my Great Grandma Merriett's. It was a wedding gift to her and my Great Grandpa.
The filling just calls for apples (I used Jonathan and I sliced them paper thin), 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar, a little bit of cinnamon or nutmeg (I used more than a little bit), butter to put on top of the apple mixture once it is in the crust. Simple!
When it came out of the oven I put a powdered sugar and milk glaze on top.
The result was this...
Delicious!
2 comments:
Honey,
You are becoming a wonderful cook and this apple pie proves it. You should definitely make this pie again.
Love,
Brian
I shouldn't read your blog on an empty stomach! Keep up the good work!
Love,
Michaela
Post a Comment