Monday, July 5, 2010

Celebrating our Independence

For some reason yesterday really did not feel like Fourth of July to me.  The weather was cloudy all day and very humid.  It seemed as though at any minute the sky could pour down the water and I wouldn't care because at least it would cool off.  Our original plan was to have a big meal cooked out on the grill, but we decided to just have a salad (with lettuce from our garden!).  Instead of playing games outside Sofia took a long afternoon nap, Brian napped and worked on my car, I sewed, and my sister kept me company. 
What we did do was watch the fireworks!  It is amazing how the fireworks can make a person awestruck no matter what age they are and how many times they have watched fireworks in their lifetime.  And nothing compares to a child's imagination and amazement as they watch the fireworks shoot into the sky and burst open.  We had kids sitting behind us giving commentary the whole time and it was absolutely great.  There was one child that did not like the fireworks and that was of course our own.  She was truly frightened by them.  I am not sure if it was the noise or if it was the actual fireworks themselves.  She laid on my chest the whole time and I covered her ears.  I could tell she was still wanting to watch them, but at the same time she needed her mama to know she was safe.  I tried getting pictures of Sofia before the fireworks because she was so cute in her dress, but most of the pictures turned out blurry or she was playing in the dirt. 
I hope you all had a great 4th of July!

No comments: