Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Summer Open Faced Chicken Sandwich

I am becoming more opened minded about tomatoes. I actually like cooking with them and find myself making more and more meals that require tomatoes. I am not at the point where I will just eat tomatoes alone, but maybe one day. The meal I made last night was delicious. Brian definitely wants me to make this again and Sofia devoured the tomato mixture. It looks like it took a long time to make, but took a half hour at the most to make. The recipe comes from the magazine Simple and Delicious.

Ingredients:
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup minced fresh basil (we didn't have basil, but we do have basil olive oil that I used on the chicken)
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion (I used a vidalia onion, because we didn't have a red onion)
3/4 cup Italian dressing, divided
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
4 slices of Italian bread, toasted
4 slices mozzarella cheese

Here is what you do:
  • In a small bowl combine the tomatoes, basil, onion and 1/2 cup dressing; set aside. Flatten chicken to 1/4 inch thickness
  • Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear, basting occasionally with remaining dressing. Layer each slice of toast with chicken breast, cheese slice, and tomato mixture.
Serve with a salad and enjoy!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I think I'm going to have to try this one. It looks yummy.