We made play dough on Monday. I had never made it before, but it was super easy and took about five minutes. I got the recipe from a cookbook I have that has fun experiments and makings for kids. The nice thing is most of this ingredients to make the play dough is items most already have in the pantry.
Here is the recipe for Kool-Aid Play Dough:
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Salt
1 Tbs Vegetable oil
2 tsp Cream of Tarter
1 Pkg. unsweetened Kool-Aid
Prepare Kool-aid as directed on package. Add flour, salt, oil, and cream of tarter. Cook over medium heat, stirring until it forms into a ball. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Knead it well.
from the
Hanover Elementary School Cookbook
This is what it looks like when it is ready to play with. We only had red kool-aid on hand. I might get more so we can have several different colors.

Joel playing with the play dough. He was making transformers.

I got out all our cookie cutters. I actually like this play dough better than the cheap play dough you buy at the store. This I know is non toxic so if it ends up in Sofia's mouth it isn't going to hurt her. She got to 'play' with it a little bit. She had never felt play dough before so it was all new and of course she wanted to put it in her mouth.
1 comment:
The recipe I've used has food coloring, so we made several colors. I didn't think it would last all that long, but I made up a few batches and bought some cheap tupperware. We made it last Oct or Nov. & it is still good every time we get it out. The cream of tartar makes it just nasty enough that when Gavin tried it, he didn't like it.
He reacted the same way to touching it the first time. "Yucky Mommy"
Post a Comment